Northumbria Restarting Reviews?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Northumbria Restarting Reviews?

Post by Beachcomber on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:37 am

One of our members has heard a rumour that Northumbria may be wanting to have another crack at reviewing those ex officers that it failed to reduce in that infamous 'mass review' some years ago.

It might only be speculation at this stage, so can anyone shed any light on the situation in the Northumbria Force area?
Beachcomber
Admin

http://www.pipin.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Northumbria Restarting Reviews?

Post by Urtica on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:14 pm

A recent whisper is that the SMP for Northumbria is insisting that only spouses/partners of officers and former officers can accompany them when attending an assessment re injury award or injury pension.

It is suggested that he does not want anyone there as a 'friend' who has any knowledge of the Regulations.

Is there anyone from Nothumberland who can confirm this rumour?

Needless to say, he has no authority to apply this restriction.

It will be of interest to all to learn that the SMP is the very same who was roundly criticised in the Administrative Court, twice, for his role in unlawfully reducing some 70 or so IOD pensioners to band one because of their age.

Urtica

Back to top Go down

Post by Defender on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:09 pm

First of all apologies for not updating this topic for some time, however my ‘Incomplete Reg 37(1) review’ as Northumbria PA wish to call it, has been progressing slowly. Misinformation….however well intended helps no one so I wanted to ensure I had accurate information to report and I’m afraid none of it is good news.
My review ongoing continuously since early 2006 has now resulted in a reduction to my injury pension, as a result with the assistance of JBB, Haven Solicitors are ‘on the job’ Due to the complexity of the case I was asked recently to attend their offices at Tadcaster to meet with Mark Botham who is dealing with the PMAB appeal. It is unlikely the appeal will be heard before late autumn at the earliest.
I have also recently met with Northumbria JBB and in their own words there is now little doubt that a new injury pension review process has indeed restarted in Northumbria. What is uncertain at present is the full extent of these new reviews, or the injury bandings being targeted. With our illustrious Home Secretary remaining in post and declaring more forthcoming cuts to police budgets, other forces restarting reviews and with the full implications of the new 2015 pension regs still very uncertain it was rather inevitable that Northumbria would restart the review process soon. Alan Harding at JBB (Rtd now back as a civilian) is your point of contact (but I would suggest to reduce workloads that only those who are subject of an ongoing current review contact him for advice if required) I understand the Northumbria PIPPIN contact is due to be updated soon also.
Urtica……an interesting snippet of info there, I can’t confirm your rumour as my last encounter with the ‘board of SMP’s’ was back in 2010. They have used this 5 yr old report to reduce my pension. I can only add that my spouse attended with me (she is a university law lecturer with LLM Med) and her presence was as well received as a bad case of Ebola. However it is ESSENTIAL that anyone attending a physical examination does indeed bring a witness with them. (I’m sorry but I cannot elaborate any further on the reasons for this at present) Knowledge of the Regs is important but also quite easy to obtain with the help of this great forum site and the many members willing to help. Any other Northumbria pensioners out there under review please don’t be shy……. do feel free to say hello anytime.

Defender

Back to top Go down

Post by Urtica on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Any Northumbria IOD pensioner who has been told their injury pension is being reviewed are advised to get in touch with me as a matter of priority.

Please either send me a private message via this forum, or email me at admin@iodpa.org in complete confidence.

Urtica

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Melly on Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Defender if your wife were to act as friend for all Northumbria pensioner under review the SMP may get the message. How these people can inflict stress and anxiety upon people who have served and suffered is beyond me.
With the drive towards regionalisation and collaboration it will be spreading across the North.

Roger Melly

Back to top Go down

Northumbria Reviews

Post by Urtica on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:19 am

It is now confirmed that Northumbria intends to hold reviews of all injury pensions. With the discriminatory exception of not reviewing IOD pensioners who are on band one.

Any retired Northumbria officer who is in receipt of an injury pension and who has concerns about the proposed reviews is advised to contact the Injured on Duty Pensioners Association by email at admin@iodpa.org or via its web site www.iodpa.org

The IODPA can offer advice, support, and expert legal representation.

Urtica

Back to top Go down

Post by oldandintheway on Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:56 pm

deleted

Last edited by oldandintheway on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

oldandintheway

Back to top Go down

Post by Urtica on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:11 pm

This should be discussed in private. Can I suggest that you contact IODPA?

Urtica

Back to top Go down

Post by oldandintheway on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Understand your point - deleted post!

oldandintheway

Back to top Go down

Post by Defender on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:00 pm

With regard to Urtica’s post dated Feb 23rd 2017, it would appear that the new reviews of all IOD’s was suspended pending the outcome of  Fisher v Chief Constable of Northumbria & PMAB. This case is now concluded, and Northumbria PPA are not appealing this new judgement. Very recent information has been obtained that indicates that Northumbria are indeed intent on restarting a mass re-review of all 600+ IOD’s imminently. Information obtained suggests that ‘batches of 10-15 IOD’s will be reviewed per week’   It would also appear that a new contract has been agreed to recruit additional SMP’s to perform the above review but also to include possibly a NE group of forces including as well as Northumbria, Durham & Cleveland.
The contact details for IODPA are in Urtica’s post above.

Defender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top