Latest topics
May 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

NARPO and IODPA Meeting

Go down

NARPO and IODPA Meeting

Post by Beachcomber on Sat May 05, 2018 7:22 am

I was pleased to see in the latest (May 2018) Narponews that the President has referred to the meeting that he, together with the CEO and Deputy CEO, had with IODPA Trustees recently.

I see this as a small acknowledgement of our dedicated IOD association and hope that Narpo can now move on from their rather dismissive attitude to IOD's that was prevalent in the early years when IOD's, fighting the heinous HOC46/2004, felt abandoned by our official representative body.

IOD's filled the vacuum and slowly organised themselves culminating in the emergence of IODPA which is a charity consisting of IOD's working for IOD's. IODPA has the energy and the will to protect the interests of IOD's in ways which NARPO, a more generalised retirement association, may be unable to do.

It is good that Narpo have had this exchange and I hope that it heralds a better and more productive relationship with IOD's.

The issues faced by IOD's are serious and not shared by those non-IOD's who make up the majority of Narpo members. It seems to me that it would be beneficial to all if Narpo adopted a policy of working closely with IODPA and refer IOD's to IODPA as a matter of course.

Beachcomber
Admin

http://www.pipin.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: NARPO and IODPA Meeting

Post by Beachcomber on Sat May 05, 2018 10:09 am

Further to my previous post:

"There was a good exchange of views and the agreement that the work they (IODPA) did was a useful source for members to use. This was circulated to Branch Secretaries together with the information that the three members who attended were the spokespeople for the IODPA."

IOD issues are difficult and complex. It takes a particularly motivated individual to handle IOD matters effectively. Narpo is an organisation for retired officers, the majority of whom are not IOD. Most retired officers would, understandably, not wish to take up such a complex and contentious responsibility of representing or assisting IOD ex officers. Those Narpo branch members who have participated are to be congratulated but sadly, they haven't always been very effective and able to keep up to date with the fast moving fluid scenario of the last few years.

It is unfortunate that, at times, the plight of IOD pensioners and their struggle against injustice has been viewed negatively both at national and branch level.  Without ever experiencing the contrary, many ex officers will be ignorant of the facts, respecting their forces and believing that their policies with be fair and lawful, thus IOD's are to be seen as troublemakers making waves. Also, if your Branch President is your Chief Constable, who is also the Police Pension Authority and therefore the person responsible for the IOD policy,  a conflict of interest must exist!

The meeting referred to is a first step on which we should build trust and cooperation. IODPA have taken up the challenge and are totally committed to the IOD.  In my opinion, the best way forward will be for Narpo to accept the reality of the situation and ensure that any IOD they come into contact with is made aware of IODPA so that, if they wish, they can avail themselves of effective representation.
Beachcomber
Admin

http://www.pipin.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum