» IOD Response from Chief Constable
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:23 am by Beachcomber

» The Police Injury Benefit (Amendment) (England and Wales) Regulations 2018
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:40 pm by Rma

» A Question
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:31 am by Roger Melly

» Disclosures, Comply or Not.....
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:01 am by Beachcomber

» Consents, Questionnaires and Supply of Personal Data.
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:45 pm by Beachcomber

» Notes For Those Facing Review For The First Time.
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:51 am by Beachcomber

March 2018

Calendar Calendar

Chief Constable Morgan's Open Letter.

Go down

Chief Constable Morgan's Open Letter.

Post by Beachcomber on Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:58 am

Chief Constable Morgan yesterday posted a an open letter on the subject of the current IOD reviews ongoing in his force.

As we know the SMP involved has decided to withdraw from the process and it looks like the CC is trying to infer that the SMP's decision was as a result of the response of the IOD's reviewed - at least that's how I am reading this. He mentions that from the following sentence "I also have a duty of care to my staff which is why I am writing this letter to iterate that I will not tolerate the treatment they have recently received"

The recent history of IOD matters has not been good and police forces have not been shown in a good light, far from it. There are now so many High Court cases which are there for all to see as well as numerous findings of maladministration by the independent Pensions Ombudsman. Injured officers and ex officers have been subjected to so much abuse of the system that they are right to question the system and not submit to their forces policy without first ensuring that it is correct, lawful and applied fairly.

I have warned previously that it has long been a tactic of authority to 'smear' opponents. If IOD's are the enemy, it is only because our forces have made us the enemy through their actions.

Many IOD's suffer psychological injury and have been placed in a highly stressful situation. The review requires very careful handling and our colleagues should be treated with great sensitivity - if this is not so, the consequences can be unpredictable. Chief Constable Morgan will not tolerate whatever the 'treatment' his staff have had recently but I would remind him that he and his staff have to be extremely considerate and tolerant to those 'members of the police family' who have suffered injury and loss of career.

It looks to me that the Staffordshire force have pushed ahead with this review programme quite deliberately in a pugnacious manner. The PPA will be fully aware that there will be a strong response from those affected. It is my personal opinion that it has been set up to confront the IOD community.

Please remember that we don't oppose reviews, it is unfair, unjust and unlawful reviews that we oppose. Reviews are not fair, just and lawful because the PPA says they are. Inevitably it will be the courts who make that decision.

This time of year is supposed to be the happiest season and it concerns me that this has been put into motion just before Christmas - makes you wonder why?

More on This..

Last edited by Beachcomber on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Re: Chief Constable Morgan's Open Letter.

Post by Beachcomber on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:55 am

On a more general point which is nevertheless relevant to the situation in Staffordshire. The following question has been asked elsewhere:

"Are any of you aware of any SMP or PPA considering whether they are dealing with a vulnerable adult?

Vulnerable Adult Definition "A person who is 18 years of age or over, and who is or may be in need of community care services by reason of mental or other disability, age or illness and who is or may be unable to take care of him/herself, or unable to protect him/herself against significant harm or serious exploitation." (Law Commission - Who Decides?: Making decisions on behalf of mentally incapacitated adults 1997)

Factors of a Vulnerable Adult: • Is elderly and frail due to ill health, physical disability or cognitive impairment • Has a learning disability • Has a physical disability and / or a sensory impairment • Has mental health needs including dementia or a personality disorder • Has a long-term illness / condition • Misuses substances or alcohol • Is a carer, where the person meets the definition • Is unable to demonstrate the capacity to make a decision and is in need of care and support."

Going back to the situation in Staffordshire.  Whatever is said in tweets or online posts, whether it is uttered by the official side or the pensioners, it should be clear that IOD pensioners are very upset and aggrieved.  As Chief Constable Morgan says, the pensioners are entitled to appeal to PMAB and some have already indicated their intentions to take this course.  We all know that there are IOD's who are ill, elderly simply no longer have the capacity or ability to take this further. Fortunately there are many who will take it further and will take it as far as it is possible to pursue it.  Every aspect of the policy and conduct of IOD reviews needs to be thoroughly and independently scrutinised and tested.  The whole IOD system has been brought into disrepute, not by IOD pensioners but by certain police forces and certain of their cohorts.

IOD pensioners do not want to be doing this, having forced into fighting a never ending battle with their forces,  they want to be getting on with their lives. Any review causes great anxiety and reviews always force them to relive the events that caused them injury in the first place.

IOD pensioners are doing this because they don't trust the system. They no longer trust the SMP - they no longer trust the PPA, they no longer trust their forces. This is not just a few discontented trouble makers, these people are all former police officers and if they don't trust you, it is with very good reason.

However, we have a very experienced legal team, who are fully aware of the situation here and will have the advice of an eminent QC. The current process in Staffordshire are likely to result in various issues coming before the Courts, hopefully in the not too distant future.

The legality of this process is determined in the Courts by challenges from IOD pensioners not the policy imposed by the PPA.

Back to top Go down

Re: Chief Constable Morgan's Open Letter.

Post by H R Numpty on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:52 am

'Tis the season of goodwill........except in Staffs

Bah Humbug

H R Numpty

Back to top Go down