Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

reviews  benefits  personal  

Latest topics
» Pipin Forum Is Closing.
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:49 pm by White Horse

» The implications for the police injury pension scheme of the decision in R (Evans) v Chief Constable of Cheshire.
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:50 am by Beachcomber

» IOD Wins Judicial Review
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:03 pm by Beachcomber

» Reviews - Mandatory or Discretionary?
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:05 pm by Urtica

» Latest from Derbyshire NARPO.
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:51 pm by Beachcomber

» PIPIN Forum and Personal Data.
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:18 am by Admin

» Health and Injury - Inappropriate Use Of UPP
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:26 am by Mercury

» Northumbria Employment Tribunal
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:07 am by White Horse

» Impact of Reviews etc. on Health
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:11 am by Beachcomber

July 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Thoughts welcome - any comments on my current status?

Go down

Thoughts welcome - any comments on my current status?

Post by MARTYCRADD on Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:05 pm

Well I may be almost through the whole retirement process. In September 2014 I got injured on duty and after two years my force finally realised that it's not getting any better. My shoulder was ripped from the socket by a psychopath causing breaks in the joint, despite two operations and some metalwork my career was over. I've reduced mobility and constant pain in my left arm/shoulder. I also suffered from PTSD but this was deemed non-permenant however I'm still not fully recovered and don't feel I ever will be the same.
So they retired me on the basis of recurrent dislocation. It limits my life in minor ways, cant drive manual due to pain changing gear and pretty much all physical jobs are out of the question. It wakes me up at night. I eventually walked away after just shy of eleven years. The fed were just awful, no support and I had to chase them at every stage, they didn't even tell me about injury awards, just nothing. While I was off sick I didnt receive a single home visit and somebody only came to see me when it came to serving retirement papers.
I finally retired on 02/12/2016 and it was quite a sad day. Since then i applied for an injury award without fed help (they didnt even respond to calls or emails.) It took 3 months for the force to even acknowledge receipt of my application, I had to chase them. I even went back to the force in a civvy role but several people made it very difficult for me. I was described as a failed officer by some, others said I was lucky to be permanently disabled! I was then expected to act as a police officer including being handed keys to a force car (non driving job) to attend a meeting that should be attended by an inspector. It was too much and very difficult for me so I had to resign, I can't take the police environment any more.
So in April 2017 I get a letter from health work. A doctor who has never seen me has decided exactly how much weight I can lift with my damaged arm (how could they possibly know this? Down to the kg!) They have also decided that the injury on duty only contributed 50% to my permenant disability due to my medical history.
This is fascinating because I hurt my left shoulder three times. 1. On duty - possible tear, required surgery. (Fully recovered and returned to duty.) 2. At home, slipped on stairs and dislocated it. (Fully recovered and returned to duty.) 3. The final injury, forcibly ripped arm from socket by suspect. According to the doctor, the first injury doesnt count, but then second does and that this significantly contributed to my condition. What a joke.
So now I have received another letter, this one states that my earning capacity has been affected at 28.6% It goes on to say that they considered five roles , three of which are police staff jobs, the other two are complaint service advisor and SENIOR complaint service advisor. They dont say where these jobs are or what the pay scales are.
Now I'm waiting for Kier pensions to contact me.
Just to tidy up my story, I did get industrial accidents sorted, they decided at 30%, with my PTSD accounting for 20% of that, my shoulder 10%. I didnt claim for ESA as I have a large chunk of my lumper still in the bank and have started another job.
In all, I've no clue what happens next. I dont know if that 28.6% is the final figure or if that's going to get reduced even further. I'm not even sure what figure they would use for my final pensionable pay and when i left i was on top whack, however retired on the figure of 34,500 as that was the better, old 1987 pension scheme and not the crappy 2006 one.
Must say what a confusing, diabolical process. Nobody from the fed, pensions, hr or police have provided any explanation or advice, only through websites like this have I worked anything out. It's an absolute disgrace that people have to muddle through this in the arguably the hardest time of their life. I'm extremely resentful of the police service as a whole.
Sorry about the length, if anyone read the whole thing. Any thoughts? Comments? Insights?

MARTYCRADD

Back to top Go down

Re: Thoughts welcome - any comments on my current status?

Post by White Horse on Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm no expert, but if I can pick up on one thing - if you claim ESA and are found to be put in the Work Related Activity Group (WRAG) you may be able to get 1 years payments based on contributions. This is regardless of what you have in the bank.
After that, you may get nothing, but if you are a current claimant and receiving nothing, the DWP will put in your National Insurance contributions whilst you are unable to work.
PTSD can be very debilitating with flashbacks and unpredictable anxiety attacks and related depression. The DWP do not underestimate the mental effects of this.
Good luck for the future, staying away from Police Stations has been good for me, as I developed something of a phobia. You might need to do the same!

White Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by MARTYCRADD on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:19 am

I was really phobic about going back to the police but wanted to use my knowledge, big mistake. You're right, best to stay away from police for now on.
Before I retired HR forced me to apply for ESA because they reduced my sickness pay. In a matter of weeks the DWP screwed everything up, got everything wrong and then messed up my tax code. I quickly cancelled it and retired but I've just been landed with a tax bill from last year due to the DWP error, I never want to deal with them again.

MARTYCRADD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down