ESA and Kier

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ESA and Kier

Post by Urtica on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:35 am

Some forces have contracted a company called Kier to handle the administration side of injury pensions.

Kier does not make decisions concerning reviews, etc. but it has recently been sending out letters to IOD pensioners about Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

The letters ask that recipients give signed permission for the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to release to Kier details of 'any benefits' which they are entitled to.

A moment's thought will tell you that the DWP can't possibly be in a position to tell Kier what benefits anyone is entitled to, as the DWP won't know that until someone actually applies for a benefit, or is actually in receipt of a benefit.

What Kier is trying to do is discover if individuals are claiming ESA or not. The Police (Injury Benefit) Regulations allow the police pension authority to deduct an equivalent amount of any ESA (And certain specified other State benefits) from the injury pension.

Clearly, it is to the advantage of a police pension authority to see its pension payments reduced by having people claim ESA.

It is not to the advantage of IOD pensioners though, as they will not gain, or loose, financially by claiming ESA, but will have to undergo the stress and inconvenience of having to deal with the DWP.

If you don't claim ESA there is no way to discover whether you qualify for it other than to make application. You can use the DWP web site to get an idea of whether you qualify, but that will not provide a definitive 'yes' or 'no'.

Pensioners are advised to think very carefully, and to seek advice before they tell Kier anything, or sign any permissions.

Advice and support for anyone affected can be found via the Injured On Duty Pensioners Association, by email to admin@iodpa.org or via its web site [url=http:www.iodpa.org]www.iodpa.org[/url]

Urtica

Back to top Go down

Re: ESA and Kier

Post by peter0318 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:33 pm

I take your points, but would add three of my own.

1.  There could be a net loss for IOD pensioners as any ESA payments would be liable for Income Tax.  

2.  Any award would be largely theoretical (apart from N.I. credits) as the vast majority of IOD pensioners would earn in excess of the £85 pw threshold.

3.  The letter itself is quite threatening in tone, and the implied threat is that failure to comply with the request for permissions will result in a deduction being made anyway.  (probably illegally, but it's there all the same.)  The point being that it's not whether ESA is being claimed that is salient, but whether it COULD be claimed.

I've had a long discussion with a very helpful person at the DWP who suggests the best way forward is to enter a claim for ESA, which will almost certainly result in a refusal or a zero award.  The letter of refusal then gives the IOD pensioner written evidence that they have either no entitlement or a zero sum entitlement, which can then be forwarded to Kier, effectively ending the matter.

peter0318

Back to top Go down

Post by peter0318 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:39 pm

I have today received a letter from Kier confirming that based on the information I supplied to them, my injury award will remain unchanged. There's no way they've had time to enquire into this, so one assumes they're just accepting individuals' word that they have no ESA entitlement. Let us hope that's the case and that this sorry episode can be swiftly resolved before it causes any more distress.

peter0318

Back to top Go down

Post by White Horse on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:39 am

My force has just changed pension administrators from Equiniti to Kier and it will be interesting to see if letters start being sent out, as a result of the change. Until now, I have never been reviewed, but I have only had the IOD kick in 2 years ago after 18 years deducted.
Giving them authority to contact and get information from the DWP is optional, although the wording of their letter does suggest otherwise.
I'm not sure what I would do faced with such a letter. The truth is, I have nothing to hide, but do I want everything revealed?

White Horse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum