Tragic Result of PTSD

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tragic Result of PTSD

Post by Beachcomber on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:44 am

The terribly sad and tragic death of Andrew Summerscales is reported in the item in the 'Telegraph'

Pc who found colleagues murdered by Dale Cregan filled out own death report before suicide, inquest told

PTSD, depression and other such conditions are ever present dangers in our profession and, as we know only too well, are often not recognised until it is too late. Perhaps there is a natural tendency to hide or disguise the symptoms in some cases. On reflection, I can recall a number of occasions when I have witnessed what may have been indications of illness in other officers but not recognising it for what it was. I also recall a couple of officers who took their own lives. That was all many years ago and there is now more understanding of these conditions. It is therefore even more sad when officers and ex officers feel themselves in such a desperate situation.

I find it particularly upsetting that so many IOD ex officers report that they have to endure hostility from their forces and the IOD administration system which exacerbates or induces mental health conditions.

I am reminded of a couple of high profile IOD cases which received National media attention. Officers, whether serving, IOD or retired, deserve better.....

PC Philip Olds

PC David Rathband
Beachcomber
Admin

http://www.pipin.org.uk

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top