Serving Officer IOD.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Serving Officer IOD.

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:39 pm

This thread was started by a serving officer IOD who has highlighted the problems faced whilst involved in the current IOD process.

The messages posted by the officer have been deleted at their request.

Last edited by Beachcomber on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : deleted at request of originator)

Admin
Admin

http://pipin.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Serving Officer IOD.

Post by Urtica on Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:56 am

Hi Hells Bells,

You are one of a growing number of serving officers who are facing problems with the medical retirement process. I have to admit that my main area of expertise and focus in on former officers who face maladministration of injury pensions. However, I'm glad that you have found my posts on PIPIN useful.

The situation is that some forces have tried, and failed, to reduce costs by mounting what they call 'more robust' reviews of injury pensions. At present few forces are actively holding reviews. That doesn't mean reviews have ceased, just that they generally aren't trying to review all pensioners at regular intervals.

The exception is Avon and Somerset, where the force announced its intention to review all injury pensions. As there a lot of them, this was an ambitious programme. So far, they have held 16 reviews, and of those thirteen of the pensioners have been waiting for a conclusion for some six or seven months now. The three concluded reviews were done by an honest, fair, impartial SMP, and pensioners concerned are all content with the results. The others were seen by another SMP, so you can no doubt draw your own conclusions. This ill-thought through and thorougly unlawful review programme is a complete disaster and, if continued, will cost the taxpayers hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Behind the scenes, the Home Office has been whispering to HR mangers and prodding them to make it much harder for any serving officer to retire on grounds of ill health. They want to see people put on light duties, which is fine, but there is no provision to help the ill and injured recover and get back to full duties. Instead, they are messed around, with postings, shift patterns, etc. After a while, if they are still unfit they may be put on half pay.

The object is to get them to voluntarily hand in their ticket, so hence no enhanced ill health pension. No information is given about their rights. Local NARPO and Federation vary hugely in their willingness and ability to offer help and advice. For those injured on duty, and who could apply for an injury award, the situation is even worse. Some forces now use SMPs who are far from impartial, and who are little more than hit men, whose task is to either reject claims for injury awards or to ensure they are paid at the lowest level possible.

As to you 'poor buggers' - you need to get organised. Discussion is good, and there is strength in numbers. There are many ways to raise awareness of issues, and a priority is to make it possible for people who are experiencing difficulties with dealing with the process of ill health retirement to find each other, and to combine their efforts in dealing with the problems. This forum may be a good place to start, but there are other, more private, ways of communicating beyond the gaze of the 'opposition'. I'll PM you shortly with some suggestions.

You will find that a lot of people will be looking for solutions to their problems, but only a very small number will have the knowledge and willingness to move and shake. It takes a huge amount of effort and time to challenge maladministration within the police service. You have seen at first hand how they are masters at delays, non-replies, fobbing off, etc. etc.

Really, what you are experiencing is very much within the province of the Federation, and that organisation ought to be made aware of what is going on. I suspect the Feds already know, but you ought to ask them what they are doing about it.

Urtica

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackmax on Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:19 pm

I speak from experience when I say I've seen this first hand with lies, dirty tricks and defamation of character in order to get you retired off with the least amount of cost.

The important thing to do is keep forums like this going or the victims of maladministration in the future won't have the level of support some of us have experienced.

Yes, things have been quieter on here recently but mark my words when forces pluck up misguided courage to randomly start reviewing officers again this forum will come into its own.

It's not a case of if, it's a case of when.

That's only touched on reviews, this forum has also helped and supported officers who have been injured on duty and are in no state to return to work.

So I urge you all, use it.

Blackmax

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top