IHR, Injury award and no help ! Can anyone help, please ????

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: IHR, Injury award and no help ! Can anyone help, please ????

Post by wpcbunty on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:46 pm

I'm guessing you have seen this, but just in case you haven't http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68

I am pretty certain that £ 150 each is not correct.

I was supplied a CD with my MRI scan from Mayday, Croydon at no charge. I paid for the scan myself but even still.

wpcbunty

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:34 pm

Post deleted by dj.brian for various reasons.

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by RedDog on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:05 pm

So what reason do the insurance company give for requesting information that they're already in possession of??

RedDog

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:30 pm

RedDog wrote:So what reason do the insurance company give for requesting information that they're already in possession of??  

I have no idea !  Sad

Federation advised me today that they will not help until after I have had IHR and my IOD confirmed, then they will be able to help. This was NOT from Paul Dellar but another Federation rep, so I still have no idea why the time scale has changed by the MD of the insurance company George Burrows !  Mad

Back to square one, I am no further forward !

Thanks to anyone who have offered their help and assistance anyway, it has been appreciated, but life is too short and pain is too long to stress out anymore.  silent

All this just "doing my job"
Shocked Sad Shocked Sad

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by wpcbunty on Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Have you joined IODPA dj.brian?

They may be able to help?

You need a fresh pair of eyes on your file.

wpcbunty

Back to top Go down

Post by Roger Melly on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:38 am

d.j. Brian, I can empathise although no where near as bad as yourself I have had a c6-c7 adr and I am left with failed back syndrome. On tramadol, pre gablin etc etc and I am fully aware of the side effects and impact upon your life.
I had a similar insurance policy via the fed and to be fair between the local fed office, the insurance broker then the company themselves a lack of communication caused a great deal of stress.
Looking at the tariff tables and my offer, which takes your abilities not your disabilities into account to determine your circumstances, I was left very disappointed with my payout, until I appealed.
I know its not easy but you need to put emotions aside and take out the third parties to deal with the insurers direct. If you feel they have acted inappropriately you need to lodge a complaint. George Burrows are brokers you need to find out who the company is.
Regarding the fed you should be dealing direct with the branch officials not your rep, again another layer on communication which clouds things.
You may find the fed will only assist you with your iod awards and retirement. If this is the case ask why, it may be legitimate I don't know.
You need to get advice and help to present your case for iod awards as much of what you feel and want to say will only cloud the waters allowing SMP's to pick holes in your arguments, thats what they are good at.
No matter how you feel you will not be 100% disabled from employment, your circumstances i.e. age and disabilities do not count when they look at your capabilities. With work place adjustments put in action and compassionate employers will be queuing up to employ you, well thats their view anyway.
Reading your posts you seem to be mirroring my spiral of frustration and growing bitterness which has left me with a frequent reduction in my mental state.
Please please get advice from the mentioned solicitors and iodpa. Then take stock of what you have to build your case.
One final word no matter which way you look at it your mental health can take you 2 ways, I assume you will be under your local  pain clinic try to get under one of the physiologists, it helps.
Best of luck.

Roger Melly

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Update, been a while.

I now have a Fed Rep who is willing to help and knows the SMP system.

Still got NO idea what my IHR pension will be, what IOD I will get and when (definitely injury on duty and ALL paper work to back this up) Insurance have refused to pay out still after getting ALL my medical records and images, paid by me. They have changed their minds on the date that the MD of George Burrow (insurance company) agreed with the federation, Paul Dellar ! Different underwriters on the date that "was" agreed ! This is still being looked into.  

I will update after I have read everything on this site for help/advice. I am due to have yet another epidural this week, I doubt I will be in a fit state to attend work the day after, due to being knocked out while I have a needle put in the middle of my back, then a lead put up my spine to my neck for the epidural, they cannot go straight into the upper spine due to scar tissue, hence being knocked out for a while, even if it is only for four hours, but I will obviously still try to get in.

Stress wise, you just could not understand !

Watch this space.

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by RedDog on Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:18 pm

I have sent you a PM.

RedDog

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:05 pm

RedDog wrote:I have sent you a PM.

Replied Smile

From the start of this thread, I did complete the form and asked for Mark Lake, but was advised he will only get involved if I am having problems with IHR process, which at present I'm not. I'm actually quite surprised how smooth it has
gone, so far !

23.5 years pensionable service now, was trying to keep my head down and get as much time in as possible, however I am unable to carry on, believe me I have tried !

My disability is wholly due to my injury on duty and is recorded as so.

I now have an assistance dog to help pick up dropped items, find and fetch my phone, open and close doors for me, and lay by my side when I fall over. She has a coat on that states she is an assistance dog and what charity helped me train her. This obviously cost me also, the charity I used worked with "pet dogs" trained up to be qualified assistance dogs. I did not have a dog and could only handle a small one. Ended up with a brilliant and intelligent Cockerpoo, who obviously cost me to buy (£1000), plus food/toys and everything else a dog requires, which I now don't mind as she is so helpful, but she is still an extra cost due to my injury ! Her assistance dog coat has pockets, inside is an explanation of my disability and NOT to MRI me or put in recovery position as it will make things worse.   

It has now come to a stage due to the pain, memory loss and mobility issues I cannot carry on in my current position anymore. I have looked for any other job in the Met that I might be able to do, but the training unit is the easiest, and I'm unable to do that anymore now !  

The only "skills" I have are the normal PC skills. I am even limited to driving for 20 minutes at a time and only in an automatic car. I have to re apply for my licence every year also due to mobility and spinal issues, I will eventually have my licence taken away from me due to the strong painkillers I am on also. My short term memory is also a problem, this is due to some of the medication I am on to calm me down.

Well that's it, so far !

Thanks for the support so far, at least someone listens to me and points me in the right direction Smile

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:58 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Admin - Doctors name deleted.)
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Identification of Individuals.

Post by Admin on Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Please note that it is PIPIN policy to avoid identifying individuals such as SMP's etc unless the information is already in the public domain. PIPIN is an open forum which has unrestricted access.

Note: The name that has been deleted in the above post is well known to IOD's and further comment on that individual is available on the IODPA web site.

Admin.
Admin
Admin

http://pipin.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 pm

Apologies, I was not aware, sorry !
I will not name the SMP again.
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:36 pm

Fingers crossed all changed now !
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks.

It is unfortunate that IOD matters have been so generally administered for so long in such a disreputable manner (anyone who disputes this can be referred to High Court and Pensions Ombudsman decisions on Police Injury on Duty cases). It is also unfortunate that some members of the medical profession, acting in the role of SMP, have earned a certain notoriety among IOD's which has resulted in distrust of SMP's generally - this is not the fault of the ex officers who are simply responding to the situation that has been thrust upon them.

Pipin policy aims to protect the privacy of individuals whether it be our members or those who are engaged in procedures or the administration of IOD pensions but will report or publish facts and details where applicable, such as Court or PO Judgments, public or news media reports, we also welcome the comments and experiences of our members but ask that care be taken to avoid identification, especially where there are negative comments. We also draw attention to Freedom of Information requests and responses such as the example linked below regarding a Metroplitan Police response regarding an SMP:

Metropolitan Police Freedom of Information Response Regarding an SMP
Admin
Admin

http://pipin.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:04 pm

I have "re viewed" some of my post's for personal, confidentiality reasons, and further advise from members, thank you !

I have a couple of appointments coming up over the next few weeks. I can then explain the reasons for this and give an update on my issues. Happy Xmas !

DJ
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Saw the SMP yesterday, interesting person !

Not sure when I will get an answer as it is now coming up to the Xmas period, think it will be in the new year before I hear anything else !

Fingers crossed
santa
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:52 pm

Quick update, heard nothing !
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Got my letter today !

At last the SMP has agreed that I am disabled and it is permanent, I cannot do the normal duties of a police officer !
His recommendation is to work up to 20 hours a week in an office closer to home on full pay ! There is no way the job are going to pay me full time money for counting paper clips at my local nick for half a week, IHR looks like the route !

I have 28 days from today to reply to what he has suggested and put my reasons forward.
I won't get offered the 20 hours as suggested, so will obviously accept IHR.
The SMP did state there is nothing wrong with my memory or concentration etc in part 2, I disagree and will be replying with what side effects the drugs I am on are having. Fingers crossed that should help with my IOD award !

Funny day, good to know IHR will be offered, but sad my warrant card will be handed back after 23.5 years after a job I used to love doing !

dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by oldandintheway on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:24 am

Sounds to me as if you need to appeal. Firstly, he is clearly assessing that, even though you are unfit to carry out the duties of a police officer, you are capable of 20 hours per week in some, unspecified, office job. From what you say about memory and concentration I'd guess you are not capable of that and that he has underestimated your incapacity. It is very important to you that you are correctly assessed in the first instance. Urtica may be of assistance to you in this. But also seek advice on the IODPA website. If you do nothing you could be placed in a lower than appropriate band.

oldandintheway

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:02 pm

I intend to agree with part one as that is true, I am disabled and it is permanent.
I also intend to disagree/appeal with part two, I cannot work up to 20 hours a week in an office based enviroment !
I will list what medication I am on, what the side affects are I suffer and the fact on the day of the assessment I had not been at work for three weeks prior, the Mrs had to drive me there as I am unable to use public transport and would not have been able to drive the hour to see the SMP. I can only drive 20 minutes max before I have to get out the car and stretch. Also if I have to drive I cannot take some of my medication as it affects my driving and I could be over the drug/drive limit !

If I had completed a few days work before the assessment I would have been having the memory loss and confusion due to the extra medication I have to take to get through even a four hour tour of duty !

I will reply after doing some further research on what they could bounce back to me. I need to be 100% certain of my facts and be sure I am ready with any answers to any possible arguments they may have. I also need to get to a police computer to print off all the evidence I have regarding my IOD, follow up appointments, and what OH and line management have written about me as it will back everything up I am stating.

I have 28 days to reply, so no rush to get the paper work back to them, so plenty of time to get everything together, and I'm still getting paid !
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:17 am

I have written a reply to part two of the report explaining all the reasons why I cannot work up to 20 hours a week etc.

Who is in the best position to PM this to check it for me before I send it please ?
Many thanks in advance.
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:13 pm

I have written up the "rather long" report and sent it to the correct people.
Thank you.
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:04 pm

Waiting for some kind of reply now ! I emailed my agreement to part one alongside my objections (with FULL and detailed reasons) to part two, I will also send a copy via Royal Mail recorded delivery tomorrow.

If I am to receive IHR, when ? Then I can get my IOD paper work in !!!!
Any problems or further questions, I have asked to be contacted ASAP.

Will keep this forum updated as and when I receive anything.
Thanks to everyone who have supplied help and/or suggestions and help. If/when I get through all of this I will owe one or two people a pint or two ! And I will have some further info to help others also.

Next fight will be for the appropriate injury award !
Watch this space !
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Spoke to IHR secretary today, checks are being done on any complaints or discipline matters, which will show up nothing outstanding, not now anyway, unless telling a recruit to F off as he is a ninny and should never be in the job as a PC gets a lot of abuse and people want to fight you, is still on records !

Then to the PPA for their decision, been advised mid march for IHR, then the fight begins for a proper IOD payment which I am expecting a fight to get the highest possible. Another 6-9 months !

Injury in the execution of duty in 2009 resulting in major spinal injuries, all noted down on the police system, which I will pop back into work next week to send and print EVERYTHING that comments on my injury and disablement. There is a direct cause to my injury which is not a problem, just the extent of it which they may try and fight !

Why is everything so difficult and I have to justify everything again and again, it is all on the system and has been accepted, however I have to prove it all again ! That is why I am popping into work again before all my accounts are deleted and I cannot prove everything, yet again !

Popping back into work next week to get everything i need sent home and/or printed, yet again !
Good job I have an excellent line management who are behind me 100%, as all my line managers have been.

Next update when I hear something else.

dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Ninny should be ninny !
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:58 pm

Ninny      ninny !
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top