IHR, Injury award and no help ! Can anyone help, please ????

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IHR, Injury award and no help ! Can anyone help, please ????

Post by dj.brian on Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:54 pm

Just started the process of IHR through the Met after 23 years service.
I was injured on duty in October 2009 and was advised at the time by a local Fed Rep that I could not claim compensation and to just get on with it and work as long as I could !

Not the best advice I have received but I had no choice but to believe him.

Anyway, NINE spinal operations and nearly 7 years later, I now have "failed back surgery"
I have been awarded the enhanced rate of personal care and mobility of PIP and been confirmed as disabled by DWP via my industrial injury claim for life.

Very worried about my injury award as I have no idea how much it will be, how to apply and who to ask for help. I have spoken to the Fed pensions and aware of what my IHR pension will be but she could not help with an injury award. I was informed that if I could get to 25 years service it is easier ! If I could stay at work I obviously would, I am at the end of the road with bad mobility issues due to nerve damage also caused by my original injury on duty.

Where, who or how can I get some help without having to call one of the "no win no fee" people, which after 23 years service and a fully paid up Fed member for all those years I should not be forced to go down that route !

I am married with two teenage daughters and a mortgage, very stressful and worrying time for me at present. What do I do ? ANY help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.  I don't know what to do and have not mentioned any of my worries to the Mrs as she would be so upset and worry also, best I keep as much away from her as possible.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions/help/advice etc......

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Re: IHR, Injury award and no help ! Can anyone help, please ????

Post by RedDog on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:08 pm

I have only just seen this post. I would write directly to Paul Deller, General Secretary of the MetPol Fed. If possible write a letter with all the relevant information and send it recorded delivery to the Fed office at Bromley. Explain that you haven't had sufficient help so far.
Hopefully, you have already gained some help since you posted. Best of luck!

RedDog

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks for replying.

Not a happy bunny to say the least.
I have got some more info and advice, however nothing from the FED !

Letter to Paul Deller will be done over the weekend when I am calm and have taken some strong painkillers so I stay to the facts and not what my opinion is !

Did not even think about that as I am so disapointed with the Federation at present and their lack of any help whatsoever.
Copy of all communications will also be sent over, thank you.

Watch this space for any updates from the Fed at all, I doubt there will be any but fingers crossed.
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by RedDog on Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:54 pm

I have PMed you.

RedDog

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:13 pm

Email sent to Paul Deller with brief details etc !

Explained all the issues and trouble I am having, including why the Met Police Group Insurance refusing to pay out as I am outside their 12 month period to claim, even though I have been going through investigations and operations to try NOT to claim !!!!

Will wait for a reply !

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:14 pm

"George Burrows" is the insurance company suggested by the Federation when I joined.

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:42 pm

Reply below from "George Burrows" who most officers take out their insurance;

Following your claim for Permanent Total Disablement we have heard back from the underwriters who have advised as follows:
We can confirm that cover is provided from the date of the accident for a maximum of 104 weeks for Temporary Total Disablement and for Permanent Total Disablement, this disablement needs to occur within 12 months of the initial accident, lasts 12 months and at the end of the 12 month period is beyond hope of any improvement.

From the information you have provided the Permanent Total Disablement would have needed to occur before 19/10/2010 for you to qualify for this benefit.

C2 sent to the Fed for legal assistance.

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Urtica on Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:48 pm

dj.brian

You should email admin@iodpa.org

IODPA is the Injured On Duty Pensioners Association. It is run by former officers, for former officers. They can offer information and advice, and can put you in touch with a solicitor who is one of the two leading experts in the country on police pension issues. He is not a 'no-win-no-fee' merchant, but is a proper, professional and dedicated solicitor. He is very familiar with the Met and their antics.

If you have a case he can take up then he will explain how to get funding from the Federation, so there will be no cost to you.

Urtica

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:15 pm

Email just sent, THANK YOU !
ANY help and advice is fully appreciated.
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacks Bro on Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:28 pm

DJ Brain

I have just read this and am disgusted as to how you have been treated.

I was lost before I spoke to IODPA and Urtica. Urtica is a God send and I see he has advised you.

I would also suggest that you contact Mark Lake http://cartwrightking.co.uk/profile/mark-lake-P84/.

Mark is a Federation approved lawyer and is a friend to IOD officers, not only does he empathise he is very experienced with pension matters. Contact him so he can ensure he is instructed as opposed someone who doesn't get pensions.

Hope that helps

Jacks Bro

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Many thanks.

Email sent to Fed with C2 to request assistance, intend to make sure I/they instruct Mark to represent me through everything after advise from Urtica and RedDog (Thanks).

I will obviously update as and when anything happens.

Thanks for the support.
Kind regards

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacks Bro on Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:50 pm

Brian,

Call Mark, he is very approachable. Officially he cannot advice you until he is on the record. Due to his expertise the decison makers at Leatherhead know him so he can call them up and ensure that he is instructed. You are now in safe hands.

Hopefully, the fed will fund experts report which will assist you.

Jacks Bro

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:49 pm

Thanks.

As stated before, I intend to call the Federation tomorrow, bet they have not even read my email/C2 form yet !

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacks Bro on Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:31 pm

As an ex fed rep. I can tell you that only the Chair and Sec can sign the C2 befor it goes to Leatherhead. Chase your local fed and establish that the C2 has been sent. If it has then ring up Leatherhead and ask to speak to the claims manager.

Jacks Bro

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:56 pm

It has been sent, by me, and read as of Friday with a covering note why it is not sign by my local Fed Rep.
I have asked for a Fed Rep now.

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacks Bro on Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:46 am

You have definitely gone through the mill, call Leatherhead and ask to speak to the claims manager and ring Mark Lake straight after keep us posted

Jacks Bro

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Got an email when I got into work this morning from the Fed.

They have sent all my emails/paperwork/issues off to Leatherhead.
Did not see the point in calling also, lets see what happens !
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jacks Bro on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:59 pm

That's good, chase them up

Jacks Bro

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:23 pm

Been in hospital since Tuesday evening, left yesterday afternoon so have not had the opportunity to read any work emails until today.

Received an email from Paul Deller dated Tuesday evening !

Basically he has spoken to the insurance company "George Burrows" at length who have eventually agreed to look into my claim again, but from my last spinal operation which was 22/12/15 so I am within the time limit now !!!!

Watch this space!

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Got a reply from the insurance company;

They want ALL of my medical records and MRIs, scans etc from 2 years prior to my injury right up until now. The problem is, it was through them that I managed to get ALL of my records and MRIs, scans etc ! They got it all via my GP and consultants and have EVERYTHING on CD, however they will not send me the CD as they had to pay the NHS for it, so they want me to pay for the CD again to send it back to them, confused ? I am.

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Urtica on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:43 pm

If you have not already done so, please email admin@iodpa.org and get registered.

You need the services of an expert solicitor, and need to tell the Federation which one you want, otherwise they will give you someone who couldn't care a toss. You need Mark Lake or Ron Thompson, depending on which force you are with. Mark does the southern areas and Ron the northern.

Urtica

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:51 pm

Already done, asked Federation (Paul) last night for Mark Lake, they have my C2 form already to go also.

I have forwarded on all the correspondence to the Federation and asked them to deal with the insurance company direct, I have not replied to the insurance company request !

Many thanks
Brian
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Can anyone explain if this is correct;

Federation will not support legal funding to fight my case as the insurance company have an "open file" on me and before my C2 is signed I have to reply with all the information the company requested first and try to claim myself first. If I fail, and they still refuse to pay out, then re submit the C2 and the Fed will see if they are able to help ?

If so, I have to pay the insurance company (or the NHS) for all of the CD images of all my MRIs and other tests that are on a CD and send them back to the insurance company. I have the paper work as I scanned it before I sent it back, but never got sent the CDs due to the cost !

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by wpcbunty on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:22 pm

What will it cost you financially to pay the insurance company (or the NHS) for all of the CD images of all your MRI's and other tests?

Yes, you paid your subs to the Federation for help and assistance. But there are ever changing criteria for what that help and assistance constitutes.

Having gone through the mill with the Met and IoD, can I tentatively suggest that if it is at all possible, you just pay the money and get the documents/CDs.

A full copy of your medical records is very useful to have. Otherwise, I would never have known that the SMP had re-written a sentence from mine justifying his denial of my IoD. He lost at appeal.

You have to learn which battles to fight otherwise, you will burn yourself out before you reach the finishing line.

wpcbunty

Back to top Go down

Post by dj.brian on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Luckily I have a copy of all my hospital notes (operations etc) and have submitted a requested via HR at work for ALL my personnel and OH reports they have on me.

Due to 9 operations, there are at least 22 MRIs, CT scans etc. Have been quoted £150 each !!!! I don't know how they come up with that figure either.
Obviously do not have that sort of money which I can get my hands on, and I will be in even more debt once IHR kicks in.

Just getting really fed up now. If I had the money to sort it out myself I would. I haven't so I can't !

Last edited by dj.brian on Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
dj.brian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top