Serious recurring depression

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Serious recurring depression

Post by Dave4575 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi I am after some advice in relation to the above topic.I am on my third and most serious bout of depression which I have been told will now probably be a life long issue
My doctor also suspects PTSD which I believe to be lob related.I am about to instigate the ill health retirement process and I am due to see a psychiatrist next week at my own cost to advise on the permanence to f my disability. I have 25 years service but have no experience of this process at all so any advice on hat to expect and what awaits me would be greatly received
Thanks

Dave4575

Back to top Go down

Re: Serious recurring depression

Post by Adversity on Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:06 pm

Hello, firstly well done for addressing your health issues, and I hope you get some medical help, PTSD is an evil ailment. There are several different medications, and it will take time to find the right one, so try and stay focused, because the right tablets will help, even if only enough to get you through the day. I would say I would not wish PTSD on my worse enemy, but having said that, I do wish it on several members of the finance and personnel team.

I have to, in all honestly, pre-prepare you for the job to cause your illness to get much worse unfortunately, if you ask for ill health/injury retirement. They will try their best to use your compromised mental health to wear you down further, and if you haven't already, at times you will really think you have lost the will to live.

I am not au fait with current procedures, I understand they do everything possible to avoid ill health retirement, and instead put you in an alternative 'suitable' position, such as a non confrontation environment. The law on such positions is strict, as they fear being accused of disability discrimination, but I understand there are moves afoot to reduce the pay of such officers Having been through the ill health/injury pension process myself, if there is any possibility at all for you to keep your head down and accept such a position for the next 5 years, I sadly would suggest that, it depends on the severity of your illness though. The ill health process is tough, they will make things very difficult. Even if you get retired on ill health, they will continue to mess with you, reviewing you, asking for every detail of your life, making deliberate errors etc, you may find that your mental health gets worse by the constant stress, and subsequent money worries. They constantly try to change to legislation, (usually illegally), so that what was previously a guaranteed ill health pension/injury pension for life may not be, instead they have tried to end at the age of 65, and even at the age you should have retired from the police. They are also trying to lower the payments illegally, and change their review procedures to suit their budget.

I hate to be so negative, but fore-warned is for armed. Others will no doubt give you the upto date advice. There are several posts on the forum from Safe Horizon, you may wish to look at their site, and see if it could benefit you. http://www.safehorizon.co.uk/#!useful-information/c23ns I have not used them, but they seem well regarded.

With best wishes

Adversity

Back to top Go down

Post by petew on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:35 pm

I have sent you a PM Dave, check your inbox at the top of the page.

petew

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave4575 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Thanks for all the useful information.

Dave4575

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top